Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Dealing with Back to School Anxiety

Today is the last day of summer vacation....well...for teachers anyway.  I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't anxious about the beginning of the school year.  It's equal parts exhilaration and full-blown terror.  Luckily, I'm prepared to ride this roller coaster and have been doing so for many years.  Anxiety is a normal feeling for kids and adults alike, however many students are not yet equipped with the coping skills needed to deal with big changes.

Gifted children specifically seem to experience unique anxieties so I am devoting this month's posting to this topic.  In honor of it being the last day of vacation, I ask that you read this article titled Anxiety in Gifted Children: 3 Simple Steps Parents and Educators Can Take by author . It does a great job outlining things you and your child's teacher can do to reduce anxiety as we begin to wind-up for the new school year.  Additionally, she lists some great resources towards the bottom should you want to read more.

Now, don't mind me while I spend one more gloriously sun-soaked afternoon at the pool.


No comments:

Post a Comment